One evening, a message from an unknown number suddenly reunites her with a friend from middle school after years apart.
A Message at Nine in the Evening
晚上九点,小静喝着茶,响了一下。
At nine in the evening, Xiao Jing was sipping her tea when her phone buzzed.
Stranger
你好,请问你还是住在学校后面那条街吗?
Hi, can I ask—do you still live on that street behind the school?
Xiao Jing
你是谁呀?我不太了。
Who is this? I don't really remember.
Stranger
我是李明啊,的时候我坐你后面!
It's Li Ming! Back in middle school I sat right behind you!
Ten Years Gone By
Xiao Jing
李明!是你呀!我们都十年没见了。你现在做什么工作?
Li Ming! It really is you! We haven't seen each other in ten years. What do you do now?
Li Ming
我当了,教数学。你呢?
I became a teacher—I teach math. How about you?
Xiao Jing
我在医院上班,是个。
I work at a hospital—I'm a doctor.
Li Ming
哈哈,你小时候就说想帮病人,真的做到了!
Haha, even as a kid you always said you wanted to help sick people—and you really did it!
Making Plans for Saturday
Xiao Jing
这个星期六有空吗?出来喝杯吧。
Are you free this Saturday? Let's go out for a cup of coffee.
Li Ming
好啊!还是学校门口那家店,怎么样?
Sure! How about that coffee shop right by the school gate, like old times?
Xiao Jing
好!那家店还在,太好了。
Great! That place is still around—wonderful.
她放下,笑了。原来老朋友一直都在。
She set down her phone and smiled. So an old friend had been there all along.