A family prepares for the Spring Festival, discussing customs like the reunion dinner, lucky red envelopes, and putting up red couplets.
Getting Ready for the New Year
Grandma
快到了,我们要打扫房间,准备过年。
The Spring Festival is almost here; we need to clean the house and get ready for the new year.
Xiao Jun
奶奶,为什么过年要打扫得这么干净?
Grandma, why do we have to clean so thoroughly for the new year?
Grandma
这是我们的,干净的家会带来好运。
It's our tradition; a clean home brings good luck.
Xiao Jun
原来过年有这么多,真有意思!
So the new year has so many customs; that's really interesting!
The Reunion Dinner
Mom
今天晚上全家人一起吃饭,这叫饭。
Tonight the whole family eats together; this is called the reunion dinner.
Xiao Jun
桌子上有很多菜,还有鱼,真香!
There are so many dishes on the table, and fish too; it smells wonderful!
Mom
吃鱼是因为它年年有多余的钱。
We eat fish because it symbolizes having surplus money year after year.
Grandma
来,吃饭吧,大家都坐好。
Come, let's eat; everyone take a seat.
Lucky Red Envelopes
Grandma
小军,这是给你的,祝你新年快乐。
Xiao Jun, this red envelope is for you; happy New Year.
Xiao Jun
谢谢奶奶!我会好好学习,不让您。
Thank you, Grandma! I'll study hard and won't let you down.
Mom
我们还要在门上贴红色的字,叫做对联。
We also need to put red characters on the door; they're called couplets.
Xiao Jun
我喜欢,因为全家人都很!
I love the Spring Festival, because the whole family is so happy!