A Vietnamese exchange student in China learns a lesson about cultural differences through a simple but meaningful situation.
The first morning
Minh
我第一天来中国,。
On my first day in China, I was very excited.
Roommate
欢迎你!以后我们可以互相帮助。
Welcome! From now on we can help each other.
Minh
谢谢。我想尽快适应这里的生活。
Thank you. I want to adapt to life here as quickly as possible.
Roommate
别担心。有什么的问题,可以问我。
Don't worry. If you have any specific questions, you can ask me anytime.
The difference
Minh
我发现中国同学很少当面说‘不’。
I noticed that Chinese classmates rarely say 'no' to your face.
Roommate
是的。这是我们的。直接拒绝可能让人不高兴。
That's right. This is our way of thinking. Refusing directly may make people unhappy.
Minh
在越南,我们通常很直接。
In Vietnam, we are usually very direct.
Roommate
我明白了。以后我会注意。
I see. From now on I'll be mindful of that.
The lesson
Minh
这件事让我到文化差异的重要性。
This made me appreciate the importance of cultural differences.
Roommate
是的。我们需要互相自己的文化,也学习对方的。
That's right. We need to keep our own culture while also learning the other's.
Minh
以后我会先想一想,再说出来。
From now on I'll think for a moment before I speak.
Roommate
这样好。我们的友谊会更牢固。
That's very good. Our friendship will be stronger.