On a rainy afternoon, two friends sitting in a café discover that each of them has been quietly nursing a love of art that neither has dared to see through.
Scene 1: In the Café on a Rainy Afternoon
外面下着小雨,咖啡馆里只剩下他们两个人。
A light rain was falling outside, and the two of them were the only ones left in the café.
Li Na
你那个袋子一直藏在桌子底下,装的到底是什么呀?
You've been hiding that bag under the table this whole time. What on earth is in it?
Xiao Wang
唉,别提了,是。我学了三个月,连一首完整的歌都弹不下来。
Ugh, don't even ask. It's guitar sheet music. I've been at it for three months and still can't play a single song all the way through.
Li Na
我还以为只有我一个人偷偷瞎呢。
And here I thought I was the only one secretly fumbling away at something.
她说着从包里翻出一个小本子,递了过去。
As she spoke, she dug a little notebook out of her bag and handed it over.
Li Na
画画。三年了,可没几张是画完的。
Drawing. Three years now, and hardly any of them are actually finished.
Scene 2: The Flyer on the Table
小王一页一页地翻着,停在一幅没上色的街道上。
Xiao Wang turned the pages one by one, stopping at a drawing of a street that had never been colored in.
Xiao Wang
这条街我认识,画得挺像的,你怎么不接着画完?
I know this street—it really looks like it. Why didn't you keep going and finish it?
Li Na
一个人画着画着就没劲了,画一半就扔在那儿。
Drawing alone, I just lose steam after a while—get halfway and leave it sitting there.
服务员收拾隔壁桌子时,落下了一张皱皱的,李娜顺手捡了起来。
While the waiter was clearing the next table, a crumpled flyer slipped off, and Li Na picked it up without thinking.
Li Na
哎,你看这个——市中心新开了一个兴趣,周末有人一起画画、弹琴。
Hey, look at this—there's a new hobby club downtown where people get together on weekends to draw and play music.
Xiao Wang
你看你眼睛都亮了。要不……这周末咱们去看看?
Look, your eyes just lit up. How about… we go check it out this weekend?
Scene 3: Through the Club's Door
周末的里乱哄哄的,角落有人在调吉他的弦。
The club was a noisy bustle that weekend, with someone tuning a guitar's strings in the corner.
墙上贴满了画,连那些没画完的也被钉了上去。
The walls were covered in artwork—even the unfinished sketches had been pinned up.
Li Na
原来画不完也可以挂出来呀。
So you can hang up a picture even when it isn't finished.
One of the painters
当然啦,画完的才没意思呢——画到一半的,大家凑过来,反而帮你想出下一笔。
Of course—the finished ones are the boring ones. With a half-done piece, everyone crowds around chiming in, and that's how they help you figure out the next stroke.
Xiao Wang
那……我这首弹了三个月都的歌,能不能也凑过去问问?
So… this song I've been stuck on for three months—could I crowd in and ask about it too?
Scene 4: The Guitar and the Notebook
傍晚回去的路上,雨已经停了。
On the way back at dusk, the rain had already stopped.
Xiao Wang
那个人教了我两下,我刚才居然把整首歌弹下来了,你听见没?
That guy showed me a couple of tricks, and just now I actually played the whole song through—did you hear it?
Li Na
听见了,就是中间还停了一下。
I heard it—though you did stumble for a beat in the middle.
Li Na
下周我把那条街画完,你给我弹这首,咱俩一。
Next week I'll finish that street, you play me this song, and the two of us will see how they fit together.