Where an Action Takes Place
在 + Nơi chốn + 动词This pattern is used to indicate the place where an action happens. Structure: Subject + 在 + place + verb.
我在车站等车。
I'm waiting for the bus at the station.
他在车上看地图。
He's looking at a map on the bus.
Learn 在 + Place + 动词 and 要 + 动词 / 动词短语 through Asking the Way to the Station.
Examples
我学习中文半年了。
I have studied Chinese for half a year.
这个项目需要半年时间。
This project needs half a year.
Examples
我等了你半天。
I waited for you for a long while.
半天的时间够了吗?
Is half a day enough time?
Examples
我想打车去火车站。
I want to take a taxi to the train station.
Examples
他会开车。
He knows how to drive.
我每天开车上班。
I drive to work every day.
Examples
明年我去中国。
Next year I am going to China.
Examples
前天是我的生日。
The day before yesterday was my birthday.
你前天去了哪里?
Where did you go the day before yesterday?
Examples
去年我去了中国。
Last year I went to China.
Examples
我们上车吧。
Let's get in the car.
请上车。
Please get in the car.
Examples
请在下一站下车。
Please get off at the next stop.
我马上到,你下车等我。
I'll be there soon; get off and wait for me.
Examples
新年快乐!
Happy New Year!
我们一起过新年。
Let's celebrate the New Year together.
Examples
星期日你想做什么?
What do you want to do on Sunday?
我们星期日去公园吧。
Let's go to the park on Sunday.
Examples
星期天我去公园。
I go to the park on Sunday.
今天是星期天。
Today is Sunday.
在 + Nơi chốn + 动词This pattern is used to indicate the place where an action happens. Structure: Subject + 在 + place + verb.
我在车站等车。
I'm waiting for the bus at the station.
他在车上看地图。
He's looking at a map on the bus.
S + 要 + 动词 / 动词短语The word '要' is placed before a verb to express an intention, a plan, or a request to do something. In HSK 1, '要' is also used in the phrase '不要' to ask someone not to do something.
明天我要坐车去北京。
Tomorrow I'm going to take a bus to Beijing.
请不要在车上吃东西。
Please don't eat on the bus.
Xiao Hua is new to the city and asks Xiao Ming, a local, how to get to the station.
你好,我想去车站。请问,怎么走?
Hello, I want to go to the station. Excuse me, how do I get there?
你好。车站不太远。你能开车去,也能打车。
Hello. The station isn't too far. You can drive there, or you can take a taxi.
我没有汽车。我要打车。打车多少钱?
I don't have a car. I'll take a taxi. How much is a taxi?
打车不太贵。你在这里上车就行。
A taxi isn't too expensive. You can get in right here.
谢谢!星期天你做什么?
Thank you! What are you doing on Sunday?
星期天我要在家休息。
On Sunday I'm going to rest at home.
好的。我去年来过这里,那时候车站很小。
I see. I came here last year — the station was small back then.
对。新车站开了半年,明年这里会有新的路。
Yes. The new station has been open half a year, and next year there’ll be a new road here.
太好了!新年我想回家,坐车要半天吗?
Great! I want to go home for New Year — does the bus take half a day?
不用半天。你在前边的车站下车就到了。
It doesn’t take half a day. Get off at the station up ahead and you’re there.
前天我也来过车站,那天人很多。
I came to the station the day before yesterday too — it was crowded.
前天是星期天,人很多。
The day before yesterday was Sunday, so there were a lot of people.