Indicating Where Something Is
S + 在 + Nơi chốnThis pattern is used to say that a person or thing is at a specific place. The verb '在' is placed before the location.
我在书店门口。
I'm at the entrance of the bookstore.
老人在那边。
The elderly man is over there.
Learn 在 + Place and V + 见 through Finding the Way to the Bookstore.
Examples
我们约在哪个地点见面?
At which location shall we meet?
这个地方是一个好的地点。
This place is a good location.
Examples
请进房间里面去。
Please go into the room.
他走进去了。
He walked in.
Examples
我来到中国。
I came to China.
他来到学校。
He came to school.
Examples
他站在门口等你。
He stands at the doorway waiting for you.
学校门口有很多车。
There are many cars at the school entrance.
Examples
学校在那边。
The school is over there.
那边的人是谁?
Who is the person over there?
Examples
书在那儿。
The book is over there.
我们去那儿买东西。
Let's go over there to buy things.
Examples
我听见音乐了。
I heard the music.
你听见我说的话了吗?
Did you hear what I said?
Examples
他在外边等你。
He is waiting for you outside.
外边很冷。
It's very cold outside.
Examples
这个苹果我吃了一半。
I ate half of this apple.
我们只有一半的时间。
We have only half the time left.
Examples
他是一位有名的老师。
He is a famous teacher.
这个城市很有名。
This city is very famous.
Examples
请到这边来。
Please come over here.
这边很安静。
It's very quiet here.
Examples
我在这儿。
I am here.
这儿有书。
There are books here.
S + 在 + Nơi chốnThis pattern is used to say that a person or thing is at a specific place. The verb '在' is placed before the location.
我在书店门口。
I'm at the entrance of the bookstore.
老人在那边。
The elderly man is over there.
V + 见Some verbs for sensory activities, such as '看' (to look) and '听' (to listen), become '看见' (to see) and '听见' (to hear) when '见' is added after them, emphasizing the result that has been perceived.
我看见他了。
I saw him.
你听见下雨了吗?
Do you hear the rain?
Xiao Lin asks an elderly person for directions to the bookstore.
你好,请问书店在哪儿?
Hello, excuse me, where is the bookstore?
书店在那边,你看见那个门口了吗?
The bookstore is over there. Do you see that entrance?
我看见了。那个书店有名吗?
I see it. Is that bookstore well known?
有名。老人喜欢去那儿。
It's well known. Older people like to go there.
好的,谢谢!我听见下雨了,我要快进去。
OK, thank you! I hear rain — I’d better hurry inside.
好的,路上慢一点儿。
All right — take it slow on the way.
从这里到书店要走多远?
How far is it from here to the bookstore?
不远,走几分钟就到。书店就在那个门口。
Not far — a few minutes’ walk. The bookshop is right at that entrance.
我知道了,谢谢您!
Got it — thank you!
不客气。外边下雨,你快进去吧。
You’re welcome. It’s raining out here — hurry inside.