Comparisons
A + 比 + B + 形容词Use 比 (bǐ) to compare two things or people. The pattern is: A 比 B + adjective. The adjective after 比 does not need 很 added to it.
学校比家大。
The school is bigger than the house.
医院比商店小。
The hospital is smaller than the store.
Learn to use 比, 在, 了 through the topics of comparing and choosing and telling stories about the past.
Examples
这个西瓜很大。
This watermelon is very big.
他今年二十岁,很大了。
He is twenty years old this year, quite grown up now.
Examples
我回家。
I go home.
去一次回一次。
Go once, come back once.
Examples
我回家。
I go home.
Examples
去商店。
Go to the shop.
Examples
上午好。
Good morning.
上午九点。
Nine in the morning.
Examples
下午好。
Good afternoon.
Examples
我的房子很小。
My house is very small.
他是一个小孩。
He is a child.
Examples
我学习中文。
I study Chinese.
学习很重要。
Studying is very important.
Examples
我去学校。
I go to school.
Examples
他去医院。
He goes to the hospital.
Examples
昨天很忙。
Yesterday was very busy.
我昨天在家。
I was at home yesterday.
A + 比 + B + 形容词Use 比 (bǐ) to compare two things or people. The pattern is: A 比 B + adjective. The adjective after 比 does not need 很 added to it.
学校比家大。
The school is bigger than the house.
医院比商店小。
The hospital is smaller than the store.
S + 在 + 时间 + 动词 + 了Use 在 together with a time expression to talk about something done in the past. It often goes with 了 at the end of the sentence or after the verb to emphasize that the action has been completed.
我昨天上午在家学习了。
I studied at home yesterday morning.
他昨天下午去商店了。
He went to the store yesterday afternoon.
Two friends talk about what they did yesterday.
你昨天上午做什么了?
What did you do yesterday morning?
我昨天上午在家学习了。下午我去商店了。
I studied at home yesterday morning. In the afternoon I went to the store.
你的家比学校大吗?
Is your house bigger than the school?
不,我的家比学校小。
No, my house is smaller than the school.
你去医院了吗?
Did you go to the hospital?
我没有去医院。我回家了。
I didn't go to the hospital. I went home.