Indicating location or place
S + 在 + 地方This sentence pattern is used to say where a person or thing is. '在' is placed after the subject and before the place.
我在学校里。
I'm in the school.
图书馆在那里。
The library is over there.
Learn to use 在, 到, and 去 through the topics of time (expanded), places, and directions.
Examples
他出门了。
He went out.
这个工厂出很多汽车。
This factory produces many cars.
Examples
他从房间里出来了。
He came out of the room.
我看出来了。
I figured it out.
Examples
我明天到北京。
I arrive in Beijing tomorrow.
从八点到十点。
From eight o'clock to ten o'clock.
Examples
这个地方很美。
This place is very beautiful.
我的家乡是个好地方。
My hometown is a good place.
Examples
这个苹果多少钱?
How much is this apple?
你知道有多少人吗?
Do you know how many people there are?
Examples
我们过马路吧。
Let's cross the road.
时间过得很快。
Time passes very quickly.
Examples
今年我很忙。
I am very busy this year.
Examples
请进。
Please come in.
他进了房间。
He entered the room.
Examples
书在桌子里面。
The book is inside the desk.
我家离学校有三里路。
My home is three li from the school.
Examples
我家有两口人。
There are two people in my family.
他们两个都是学生。
Both of them are students.
Examples
我马上去。
I'll go right away.
他骑马马上走。
He rode the horse and left immediately.
Examples
你住在哪里?
Where do you live?
我不知道她在哪里。
I don't know where she is.
Examples
我喜欢那里。
I like that place.
那里有很多人。
There are many people there.
Examples
我没有时间。
I don't have time.
我们有很长时间。
We have a lot of time.
Examples
他在门外等我。
He is waiting for me outside the door.
我喜欢吃中国菜,不喜欢外国菜。
I like Chinese food, I don't like foreign food.
Examples
现在是晚上八点。
It's now eight o'clock in the evening.
今天我回来晚了。
I came back late today.
Examples
你先说。
You speak first.
先生,请问您是?
Sir, may I ask who you are?
Examples
我早上七点起床。
I get up at seven in the morning.
早!你好吗?
Morning! How are you?
Examples
这里是学校。
This is the school.
我在这里。
I am here.
Examples
他是最后一个来的。
He was the last one to come.
S + 在 + 地方This sentence pattern is used to say where a person or thing is. '在' is placed after the subject and before the place.
我在学校里。
I'm in the school.
图书馆在那里。
The library is over there.
S + 到 + 地方 + 去Used to express the action of going to a specific place. '到' usually goes together with '去' at the end of the sentence to make the direction clear.
我马上到学校去。
I'm going to school right now.
他到哪里去?
Where is he going?
Nam calls Linh to ask for directions to her house.
喂,Linh,你在哪里?
Hello, Linh, where are you?
我在家里。你现在在哪里?
I'm at home. Where are you right now?
我在学校外边。我想到你家去。
I'm outside the school. I want to go to your house.
好。你先过那里,然后到第二地方,我的家就在那里。
Okay. First go past that spot, then get to the second place, and my house is right there.
好,我马上出来。今天时间晚了,我们可以早一点去吃饭吗?
Okay, I'll come out right away. It's getting late today. Can we go eat a bit earlier?
可以。你快来吧!
Sure. Come quickly!